The Spartan Star

The Student News Site of Marian Catholic High School

The Spartan Star

The Spartan Star

Marian Catholic Celebrate’s Black History Month

As we end Black History Month at Marian, let’s reflect on all the exciting affairs that happened this month.

Marian kicked off its celebration during fourth-period announcements, where members of the Black Student Union shared facts about historical black figures. These figures ranged from the 1st black congresswoman, Shirley Chisholm, to actor and comedian, Jamie Foxx. 

Along with fourth period announcements, every Friday music created by black artists would play in between passing periods. Older music like Stevie Wonder and some brand new music like ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ by Beyoncé. This livened playlist was developed by Marian’s BSU. 

Theology teacher, Ms. Morgan, held a black history liturgy in each of her senior classes as part of her curriculum. Students were able to put a playlist together, consisting of music by black gospel musicians. The liturgy includes historically black Bible readings and display art created by black artists. It was a creative way for students to learn about black history along with strengthening their personal relationship with God.

The final event of Black History Month was a wonderful assembly sponsored by Black Student Union. The assembly contained a piano performance by Jacob Garcia, honoring the pianist Scott Joplin. Prior to this performance, Braylon Bailey gave a brief presentation about the life of Scott Joplin. Many other members of BSU gave presentations about either black figures or pieces of black culture. 

The speech team heavily participated in this assembly as Delcena Sawyer and Chris Reed performed their Humorous Duet Acting that earned 4th place at the IHSA State Competition. It was followed by a solo performance of Chris Reed’s humorous interpretation, which placed 3rd at the competition. Shelah Boyd also performed her thought provoking Poetry Reading that placed 2nd at IHSA.

The Marian Dance team also gave a stunning performance to ‘Rise Up’ by Andra Day.

This Black History Month was one full of culture, music, and new information. And I personally, can’t wait to see what it will consist of next year. 

Pictures to use: