The Spartan Star

The Student News Site of Marian Catholic High School

The Spartan Star

The Spartan Star

Marian Catholic Spartans Secure Thrilling Homecoming Victory

Although football season has come to an end, let’s take a look back at the thrilling Homecoming football win back in late September!

In a Friday night showdown, Marian Catholic’s defense faced some tough moments, and it looked like the game would be decided by the last team with possession. However, in a stunning turn of events, the Spartan defense stepped up when it mattered most, securing a turnover on downs on the final play of the game. This critical stop allowed Tyler Lofton to shine with his third touchdown of the night, an 8-yard rush, sealing a nail-biting 40-36 Homecoming victory against DePaul Prep. The game was a rollercoaster of back-and-forth action, with Tyler Lofton finishing the night with an impressive 205 yards on 25 carries, bringing his total touchdowns to 11 over the past three games. Moe Davis contributed with two touchdowns, and junior quarterback Joey Baranski made his first varsity start count with two touchdowns, one on the ground and one through the air.

The late-game heroics not only thrilled the homecoming crowd but also maintained Marian’s perfect record in the CCL-ESCC Red Division at 7-0. This victory also kept the Spartans in the IHSA playoff race, holding a 3-3 overall record (2-0 in the Red). The Spartans dominated with a powerful running game, thanks to an outstanding offensive line composed of Michael Biesboer, Kaleb Stanford, Bryce Glass, Zach Rhein, Bryan Maduakolam, and Kyle Bryant, who paved the way for an impressive 363 rushing yards at an average of 9.3 yards per carry. Alongside Lofton, Baranski contributed 94 yards on the ground, and Davis added 66 yards on six carries while making an impact on kickoff returns.

The game’s first half was a scoring frenzy, with six scores in the first seven possessions. A Baranski 46-yard rush brought
Marian even at 7-7, but DePaul quickly responded. Lofton’s 2-yard TD run and Davis’s 11-yard receiving touchdown from Baranski gave Marian the lead going into halftime, although they found themselves chasing conversions for most of the night. After the Rams extended their lead to 28-20 early in the third quarter, Marian showed their determination. Davis broke loose with a 57-yard touchdown run in just one play. Midway through the final period, Lofton’s 62-yard dash, followed by a successful conversion pass from Baranski to Kaleb Isom, gave the Spartans a 34-28 lead.

In a contest marked by comebacks, the Rams managed to take a 36-34 lead before Marian’s game-winning drive. Davis and a 17-yard connection from Baranski to Isom moved the Spartans into Ram territory. Austin Alexander’s 20-yard screen pass down the sideline set up Lofton’s decisive 8-yard touchdown run. While the Rams had success through the air with 286 passing yards, Marian’s rush defense held strong. Led by a formidable front featuring Joaquin Mendez, Stanford, Chris Hunter-Walker, Joseph Garcia, and at times Lofton, the Spartans allowed zero or negative yardage on 10 of 25 rushes. Linebackers Roosevelt Griffin, Kaiden Jensen, and Ronnie Gordon turned up the pressure, forcing three consecutive incomplete passes to secure the thrilling victory.