Latinx Hispanic Student Coalition Hopes Survey Will Help Outreach

Student groups plans to be more active next year

By Spartan Staff

Do you need to speak Spanish to be Hispanic? 

Are all Latinos and Latinas, Catholics? Or is it Latinx now?

These are the kinds of questions that students active in one of Marian Catholic’s newest clubs want to ask. 

Early this year, the Latinx Hispanic Student Coalition (LHSC) formed and took an active role in student life on campus. Next year, LHSC plans to do even more.

Under the guidance of faculty advisor and Spanish teacher Mrs. Cifelli, students raised awareness at Marian about cultural expressions unfamiliar to some. Those activities included sharing biographies of notable people throughout National Hispanic Heritage Month during morning announcements and presenting the food and cultural traditions of concha sales and ofrendas around the Día de los Muertos or the Day of the Dead.    

Now, led in part by students Paola Bravo and Stephanie Suarez, one of LHSC’s goals for the start of 2022-23 school year is to gauge the interests of prospective group members. 

LHSC hopes that a school-wide survey is the best way to find out about student interest for new possible projects like designing a group T-shirt and celebrating Our Lady of Guadalupe with a Mass on her Dec. 12 feast day. 

For the record, LHSC is a club open to all Marian students, whether they speak Spanish or not. The overall goal is to help create a safe place for all students. 

The link to the LHSC survey is  here