Seniors Express Themselves By Painting Parking Spaces

Was the Class of 2022 the most creative yet? Judge for yourself.

By Chelsea Small, Spartan Staff

What was supposed to be a one, maybe a two-day coming together turned into a week’s long event highlighting the creativity of Marian Catholic’s Class of 2022, with Mr. Zerante as the head of the program.

Some seniors spent several days during the first week at school to design their designated homes away from home for their vehicles – their parking lot spaces. 

Could this have been the most creative year in this Marian tradition? 

While that is a matter of opinion, what can’t be denied is the dedication seniors showed through expressing themselves when the weather allowed and continuing a tradition that started back in 2017. 

According to Mr. Tortorello, principal at Marian Catholic, the practice of painting the parking pavement started when former Dean of Women, Ms. Clifford brought the idea to Marian’s administrative council.

Tortorello said Clifford’s idea was inspired by a California school that had made it part of their senior privileges. That original pitch included how to promote painting, the steps needed for clean-up and the overall price. Both the facilities and the security teams were involved in this approval process, to ensure the event’s safety, parking lot navigation and the possible traffic implications.    

When weather permitted, it created multiple days of students being able to spend the day not only with family and friends, but also with their art. 

Teams, friend groups, families, all joined together to help each other complete their spots, as well as spend the day sharing ideas and great moments with each other. 

Tortorello said each year since this Marian tradition started, the number of seniors interested in the idea has increased, causing the number of designated spaces for painting to also rise. In its first year, the principal said only 20 to 25 students were interested. Now, more than 65 students participated. 

Senior parking spaces also have become a special signature of what it means to attend Marian, a senior perk, Tortorello said, that has caught the attention of eighth graders considering attending the school. 

That is a credit to the “intricate art,” the principal said, that present in neatly defined spaces.

“[It’s] art that reflects the person who is parking there,” Tortorello said. “It’s yours. You get one space that is all YOU. Nobody can tell you what to do with that space.”