Spartans Set For ‘Statement Game’ vs. Shamrocks Saturday

Marian must snap a seven-game losing streak to beat St. Patrick at Triton College

By Julian Brown and Ellis Jones, Spartan Staff

The Undefeated Spartans. 

Three games into the 2022-2023 football season, all Marian Catholic has done is win, win, win. 

Keeping that “Undefeated” title will require the Spartans to press the luck out of Shamrocks of St. Patrick High School at 1 pm Saturday at Triton College, 2000 Fifth Avenue, River Grove.  St. Patrick will enter the game 2-1 but they could leave with a .500 record. 

If Marian Catholic wins, it will snap a seven-game losing streak. The Spartans last defeated St. Patrick in 2011. 

Last year, the Marian lost to St. Patrick by one point, 41-40.

Last Saturday, the Spartans absolutely withered Bloom Township 54 – 7 Sept. 10. Sophomore running back Tyler Lofton burned a trail to the end zone rushing for more than 200 years and lighting the Blazing Trojans up with four touchdowns. 

Senior quarterback Kyle Thomas completed 5-8 for 117 years with two touchdowns and caught two passes as a receiver for 15 years. By beating Bloom Township, the Spartans brought about their first 3-0 start since 2009 when they opened that year 6-0. Following this destructive win, The Spartan Star caught up with Senior quarterback Kyle Thomas to ask a few questions prior to their next game.

The Spartan Star: Will the St. Patrick’s game be a good indicator of where you guys really are this season?

Kyle Thomas: Yes. St. Pats will be a statement game for us. It will show where we are early on in the season.

TSS: What are your thoughts on the season so far? 

KT: I am very proud of the team so far but the job’s not finished. We still have to stay focused and keep getting team wins.

Is there a specific team that you or the team are worried about playing? 

No. We don’t fear any opponent.

Is there anything you attribute the football team’s record to? Are there certain people or coaching techniques that are different from last year allowing you guys to have improved and done better this year?

I would say the team as a whole – including the coaches – have been contributing towards the record. We have a family culture so that definitely has helped us get we’re we are.

What was it like to play receiver in the Bloom [High School] game? Do you think it will help you on the next level?

Playing receiver is very exciting, Yes I do believe getting that experience in the game will help me when I get to college and play receiver.

After the St. Patrick Showdown, the next two games for the Spartans are at home at Dave Mattio Field. 

Marian Catholic is scheduled to meet Benet Academy 7:30 pm Sept. 23 and, for Homecoming, St. Viator at 7 pm Sept 30 under the Friday night lights.