Hair To Dye For

Don’t Judge Students By Color of their Hair

Red hair. Do you care?

Red hair. Do you care?

By Nikko Valdez

In the hit Netflix series, “Squid Game,” the main character dyes their hair red. This became a topic of discussion for many fans. The topic got so red-hot, the show’s director stepped into the conversation.

“Thinking about how Gi Hun should change his hair in a hair salon,” said Hwang Dong-hyuk. “I imagined being him and thought to myself, ‘What color that you would never choose to dye your hair?’ Then I came to the conclusion that Gi Hun would never dye his hair red. It would be the craziest thing for him to do. So I chose the color and I thought it really showed his inner anger.” 

The director decided that in order to express the fullest extent of the emotions that the character felt that it was necessary for there to be a change on the outside.

Hair dye, as we know it, was invented by William Henry Perkin in the 1800s. He accidentally created the solution we know as hair dye when trying to make a cure for malaria, but there are actually earlier recordings of hair dye. The earliest known use of hair dye was by the Egyptians in 1500 BC, who used henna to cover graying hair. Also in the 500 to 1500s AD people stopped dying their naturally red hair to match that of Queen Elizabeth.

Hair dye has been a part of most cultures and most centuries on Earth. This is because humans are naturally social creatures and there is an inherent need in all of us to express ourselves to others and feel heard.

So why don’t more people have dyed hair? Well, it is a personal choice, but for people who are in jobs or schools where it is not allowed; the choice has been made for them. 

Many schools and jobs will say that “Hair dye is not allowed because it is a distraction to others.” 

This common argument is a bit of a hyperbole because if dyed hair was such a distraction, then what about phones, bracelets, the bright lights we put in every room, and shoes that are made of the same bright colors we don’t allow on people’s heads.

The only true thing that may be distracting about dyed hair is that many people will complement the person wearing it. Dyed hair is an expression of self and many people enjoy expressing themselves. So why should we stop self-expression?

Schools should let their students dye their hair because it aids in the formation of what we choose to show ourselves as. If high school is not for trying new things and figuring out who we want to be then I just don’t know what it is for. 

For many people, especially students, hair color is a way of self expression that is right for them. Distractions are bound to happen almost everywhere, but instead of worrying about them, maybe schools should advocate for beautifully unique personalities and student’s mental health.